Most people fear being stung by an arthropod, such as a wasp, spider or scorpion.…
Spider bites can be a terrifying experience that leaves one questioning the severity of the bite and how important it is to seek medical attention. The below poster breaks down all the medically important spiders of South Africa.
What to do if any spider bites you:
- Keep calm
- If possible collect the spider
- Keep the bite site clean
- Apply topical antibiotic to the wound
- If any symptoms develop other than redness or swelling please consult a medical professional
Things to remember:
- Spiders will only bite in self-defense
- Handling spiders is not recommended
- Spiders are very beneficial to humans and the environment. Relocate them – do not exterminate them.
- 99% of spiders are of no medical significance to humans or pets.